I was in a mood last week—a taco mood! Not sure what triggered it, but I wanted tacos every day of the week. It seems there’s always a theme. This week: buns! But we’re here to talk about tacos.
On the last #tacotuesday, I shared with you my weeknight steak tacos. This week, I want to share with you my chipotle chicken tacos. These bad boys have a few ingredients, and they take under an hour to cook. What I love about these is that they are chock full of flavor and spice. I like to use chicken thighs with the bone and the skin—both are important to preserve because it adds so much flavor to the dish.
Like my steak tacos, I like to enjoy these on a corn tortilla with all the trimmings. This time around I used guac, sour cream, hot sauce, limes, tomatoes, radishes and a heavy dose of cojita cheese.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
What You’ll Need
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 heap tbsp. chipotle powder
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
How You’ll Do It
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Mix the chipotle powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl, and then massage the spice mixture onto the chicken thighs.
- In a cast iron skillet (you can use nonstick if you don’t have cast iron), heat olive oil on medium high. Once the pan starts getting really hot, place the chicken thighs in the pan skin down. Once the thighs are down, find room for the garlic cloves and lemon (cut side down).
- Let that crisp up for about 5 minutes. Once the skin has a nice sear, turn the thighs over, turn off the heat on the stove and transfer the pan into the oven.
- Let the chicken cook for 35 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, remove the pan and let it cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice all over the chicken, and then shred all of the chicken and transfer to a new bowl. Once you discard all of the bones, pour the remaining juice and garlic from the pan all over the shredded chicken.
- Serve on your favorite tortillas and taco condiments, and enjoy!