Wow, a week into my baking adventure already! Today was a very busy day. Sam and I had brunch at Cafe Lift in Philly with my to-be sister-in-law. It was amazing, and I had a beautiful sausage frittata with potatoes and buttered toast. MMAZIN’. Sam got the crab eggs benedict, which he devoured in about 5 minutes. But he gave me a taste and it was heavenly. My sister-in-law, Monica, got the baked eggs on chili with flour tortillas. All around delicious, but then again, I rarely go eat in Philly and have a bad experience. It’s a rarity.
Sam and I spent the rest of the day shopping at the Philadelphia Premium Outlets, and I got all of my Christmas shopping done and got some goodies for myself as well. We stopped by Whole Foods and now Sam is helping prep meals for next week. I learned today that Sam is an extraordinary sous chef. I should let him help me in the kitchen more often.
Anyhow, I wanted something nice and easy that I could pop in the oven for breakfast next week, so here’s my mini bacon and asparagus quiches. They are adorable. Now I have roasted purple sweet potatoes cooling down, veggies roasting in the oven and meatballs and marinara simmering away on the stove top.
What you’ll need:
asparagus bunch, about a pound rinsed, trimmed and chopped into quarter inch pieces
4 slices thick-cut bacon, crumbled
4 large eggs
2 cups egg whites, I used Egg Beaters Egg Whites
handful parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
pinch saffron, optional
How you’ll do it:
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Prepare crust as instructed. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of dough into each insert of a lined muffin tin, then press the dough down with fingers or 1/4 cup measuring up.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, parsley, saffron, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4) Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of chopped asparagus in each muffin insert.
5) Pour the egg mixture until each insert until it reaches the top.
6) Crumble bacon into each insert and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
7) Let the quiches cool and pack them into containers to take to work/school for breakfast.
I love easy recipes. It makes my life so much easier. Anyway… here’s to another full week of work!