As I was browsing through what recipes to make, only one thought struck my mind: Nutella. It may be due to cutting weight, or it may be due to my inner fat ass, but my mind instantly came up with an idea: peanut butter cookie with a Nutella center. Nutella is my favorite thing in the world… next to peanut butter, of course. And let me tell you, it’s a magical, magical experience. One recipe down, 17 more to go! Tonight, I’m going for cornbread — a skillet jalapeno, bacon, cheddar cornbread to be exact. Who’s ready to gain 10lbs?!
This makes a dozen cookies. I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen.
What you’ll need:
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, not packed
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla paste
1 3/4 cup PBC’s The Bee’s Knees peanut butter, slightly warmed about 30 seconds in the microwave
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
fleur de sel or coarse sea salt
1 cup Nutella
handful chopped hazelnuts to garnish (optional)
How you’ll do it:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and a pinch of fleur de sel or sea salt. Mix well and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla paste and peanut butter and whisk until everything has been fully incorporated.
4) Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and fold everything together with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Once the dough has come together, it should be pliable and not stick to your hands. If the dough is still wet, then add more flour one tablespoon at a time.
5) Scoop the dough into one inch balls onto the cookie sheet. You should be able to fit six per cookie sheet. Be sure to space them out about an inch or so apart.
6) With a teaspoon, make thumbprint indents into the dough.
7) You can either put the Nutella into a piping bag with a large round tip or spoon the Nutella into the thumbprints using two teaspoons.
8) Once the Nutella has been distributed, sprinkle the fleur de sel or sea salt on each cookie. Be generous.
9) Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts over each cookie making sure to press them into the Nutella center so they stick.
10) Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes or until the sides of the cookie have turned golden brown.
11) Cool the cookies on a wired rack for at least 5-10 minutes and enjoy! They are best when warm, but almost as good room temperature 🙂