I had a zucchini. A really large one, about the size of my arm.. almost. My friend harvested some from her garden and gave me on of her over-sized monsters. I made a lasagna from zucchini, squash and beef last night… with a store bought sauce, don’t judge me. I be lazy, ok?
What you’ll need:
1 really big zucchini or about 4 large ones or 8 small ones, thinly sliced
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
3/4 cup or more if you’re greedy like me of parmesan cheese, grated (OPTIONAL)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb organic beef
1 jar of sugar-free marinara sauce, I used L.E. Rodelli’s
1 small white onion, diced
1 cup of mushrooms, roughly chopped
bunch fresh parsley, chopped and reserve some for garnish
bunch fresh oregano, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
How you’ll do it:
The meat sauce:
1) Heat a medium pot on medium-high then add olive oil and white onions. Cook onion until they are translucent. Season with salt and add garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes.
2) Add the beef and cook until the beef has been browned. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Add the marinara, mushrooms and herbs. Bring to a boil then let simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Set to aside until ready for use.
1) Once you have the zucchini and squash sliced, place on paper towels to dry out. Keep them out for at least 3 hours and at most 24 hours.
2) Preheat oven to 375F.
3) Set up your assembly line in the following order: meat sauce, zucchini, squash, cheese.
4) Bring out your large lasagna pan and begin assembling the lasagna. First spread the meat sauce on the bottom, layer with zucchini, layer with squash and layer cheese. Repeat until the pan is fill or all the ingredients have been used up. The top layer should be meat sauce and cheese.
5) Cover the pan with aluminium foil and bake for about 45 minutes then take off aluminium and bake for an additional 15 minutes for the top to brown.
6) Let cool for about 20 minutes, garnish with remaining parsley, serve and enjoy!