Banana bread. One of my favorite treats to eat when I was a kid. My aunt makes the best banana bread. So moist and so soft.. and best when refrigerated! Bananas are a natural sweetener! The have so much natural sugars in them, so I love cooking with them. Pancakes, breads, muffins, puddings.. you name it! I’ll make it! The best thing about this banana bread is that it’s paleo! Still tons of sugar and carbs, but all natural and wholesome. It’s a nice treat to have once in a while. And like my aunt’s banana bread, best when refrigerated!
I do have to put a disclaimer that this recipe is adapted from Oven Love! So check her out!
What you’ll need:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
1/3 cup raw honey
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
¾ cup coconut flour
2 bananas, mashed
For the coconut topping:
drizzle of coconut oil
2 tbsp shredded coconut
2 tbsp chopped almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
How you’ll do it:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F and line loaf pan with parchment paper
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil and honey.
3) In a larger bowl, combine salt, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and almond extract.
4) Pour in the coconut oil and honey mixture and whisk until smooth and creamy.
5) Whisk in the coconut flour until it is an even consistency, no lumps.
6) Fold in bananas and mix until bananas are fully incorporated.
7) Pour the batter into loaf pan. Set aside.
8) In a skillet on medium-high heat, melt coconut oil. Once coconut oil is melted, add coconut and almonds and cook until browned.
9) Evenly sprinkle the topping on top of the bread mixture. Then sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg.
10) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover the pan with aluminum foil on top if topping is browning too fast.
11) Once loaf is cooked, let it cool down to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, so the loaf comes together. If cut too early, the loaf will fall apart. Once of the sacrifices of giving up the luxury of all-purpose flour!
Errr.. wall balls! They kill my back! Thinking about this makes this work day go faster though. I have a half day today and just realized that I have loads of pineapple in the fridge. Maybe I shall experiment with some paleo pineapple upside down cake this weekend? Decisions, decisions.