I had a craving, actually I had lots of cravings… but let’s get into that right now. I really, really wanted shepherd’s pie. I never had one before, but it just looks so amazing. The crusty mashed potatoes baked in the oven over stewed beef… it’s making my mouth water as we speak! In this little rendition of the classic, I used sweet potatoes instead of white. But I’m pretty sure that’s all. Oh, and I added a little cheese on top for the extra crustiness of the potato. That’s undeniably optional though 🙂
What you’ll need:
For the beef filling:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1.5lbs of beef (lean)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup white onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
3/4 cup of green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup of yellow squash, diced
1/2 cup of mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
For the sweet potato topping:
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 tbsp grass-fed butter
splash of almond milk
salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat coconut oil in a pan on medium high then add garlic, onion and celery. After onions have turned transluscent, throw in beef and cook until completely browned.
2) Once beef has been browned, add squash, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
3) Add broth, spices and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Put aside.
The sweet potato topping:
1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2) Take the sweet potatoes and poke divets all over with a knife.
3) With potatoes on a baking tray, bake for about an hour or until the potatoes are really soft all the way through.
4) Once potatoes have been cooked, take out of oven and place to aside to let cool.
5) Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes in half and remove the skin. Put the potatoes into a bowl.
6) Into the bowl, add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash together with a fork or masher until creamy. This mixture should be creamy but still hold its shape.
Putting it together:
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Transfer the beef mixture into a baking dish.
3) In big dollops, spoon sweet potato topping on the beef filling.
4) Once dollops have been placed, carefully smooth the potato mixture with a spoon until all the beef has been covered.
5) OPTIONAL: Add grated cheddar cheese, I used about 1/4 cup.
6) Sprinkle with parsley and put tat delicious pie in the oven!
7) Bake for about 30 minutes.
I could have eaten the whole pie, but I tried not to! Hope you all like it!