Happy Tuesday, world!
More food updates from the weekend! On Friday I cooked up something special for my boyfriend, Sam. On my healthy spin, I’ve been eating… I’d say about… 90% paleo and he is not paleo.. at all. So I tried to cook something super delicious that we both could eat and enjoy, and I had this hankering for some good ol’ spicy fried chicken.. with cajun spiced fries.. and biscuits and mash.. and corn bread. I really wanted some yummy southern cooking! So it was Fried Chicken Friday — without the fried 🙂
What you’ll need:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 large chicken breasts, about 1- 1 1⁄2 lbs
1 cup almond flour
1⁄2 tbsp paprika
1⁄2 tbsp chili powder
1 heaping tsp of cumin — trust me, it’s the world’s greatest spice.. along with paprika!
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp fresh or dried oregano
1⁄2 zest of lemon
salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggs
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
2 springs of thyme, finely chopped or 1 tsp of dried thyme
How you’ll do it:
1) Preheat the oven to 325F [Again, I used a cast iron skillet. You can use a oven-safe pan. In that case preheat to 375F]
2) In a large bowl, combine almond meal, paprika, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, oregano,
lemon, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, garlic and thyme. Set aside.
4) Cut the chicken in halves with the chicken placed long side facing you. The cuts should be
horizontal. You should have 4 cuts.
5) With a mallet and a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken, beat the chicken until it’s about 1⁄2
6) Set up your assembly line and dunk the chicken into the egg wash then into the almond
mixture. Coat thoroughly and set aside.
7) Once all your chicken pieces are coated, heat pan with olive oil to medium .
8) Once pan heats up, put in all 4 pieces, but do not overcrowd the pan. Brown each side until it
forms a crusty outside, about 2 minutes a side. Once all sides are browned, pop the pan in the
oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through, but not burned.
Check with a knife or meat thermometer.
9) Turn the oven off, take the pan out, serve the chicken and enjoy!
I enjoyed this meal with mashed cauliflower, sauteed red swiss chard and a seared peach.
Can’t forget the spicy Massie Mayo! I just spiked the mayo with some Louisiana hot sauce! It was perfect and most satisfying. Go make this. You will not regret it!
But before I go, a little Mo #selfie for you guys. Getting rubbed all in the right places this