Lucky me, lucky me. I found ground bison in the supermarket the other day! For $8.99/lb, I splurged and bought it. Sundays are huge meal prep days. I’m usually making 2-3 different meals for the week, so I don’t get tired of eating the same thing over and over again.
My yellow tomatoes from my garden were blooming today, so I just threw them in there!
What you’ll need:
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1lb ground bison
2 hot Italian sausage links, meat squeezed out of the casing
1 small white onion
2 large celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
1 cup of butternut squash, diced
1 cup of yellow squash, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cups of beef broth
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
pepper to taste
It’s summertime, so I have a growing herb garden in my backyard. I used fresh oregano and parsley chopped very finely. I added them at the end of the cooking process. You can use any herbs you have on hand. Thyme would be great too.
How you’ll do it:
1) Heat pan to med-high and drizzle in oil.
2) Saute onions, celery and garlic until onions are translucent. Season with freshly ground black pepper then add bison and sausage meat. Cook until meat is fully cooked through.
3) Spoon out as much rendered fat as possible. This will prevent as much fat as possible that sits on top of the soup at the end of the cooking process.
4) Put squash and peppers into the pot and evenly mix.
5) Pour in tomatoes and beef broth and add spices. Mix well.
6) I had some tomato vines laying around, so I added that and a lay leaf into the pot.
7) Turn to low and simmer for 1 hour.
8) Add fresh parsley and oregano. Serve and enjoy!